The Two Necked Swan, also known as the Swan with Two Necks, was located at 42, Market Place. It is understood to have been first licensed c 1806.
Walter Wicks suggests that the name is a corruption of "the swan with two nicks," the nicks or notches on the swan's beak being a means of identification.
The premises closed as a public house in 1898.
The plan on the right is part of a Market Improvement Report of 1895 and bears the signature of the city engineer (Arthur Collins).