The Star Inn , was located at 23, Haymarket. Its license can be traced back to 1763 but it was probably already trading by this date.
On 27th December 1783 there was much excitement when it advertised the arrival of : "A Capital Collection of Wild Beasts" on the premises. Ladies & Gentlemen were charged 6d , Tradesmen & Children paid 3d and servants 2d. to view a selection of curiosities including:
A Beautiful Lion, from Algiers, being the only one alive that travels, an amazing large Black Wolf from Siberia,
The Female Satyr, or Ethiopian Savage, from the Island of Madagascar.
and a Curious Night Walker from the Island of Borneo.
Visitors would have been pleased to know that "The Above Collection is well secured and kept clean."
In the 19th century The Star operated as a Coaching Inn before closing in 1894.