The Sir Garnet Wolseley, 36 Market Place, started trading as a public house c1861. It was originally called the Baron of Beef possibly because the premises was once as butcher's shop. In 1874 it adopted the name Sir Garnet Wolseley. It was named after Field Marshal Garnet Joseph Wolseley, 1st Viscount Wolseley who in the same year had received accolades for the brilliantly executed Ashanti campaign.His reputation for efficiency led to the late 19th-century English phrase "everything's all Sir Garnet", meaning "all is in order."
In the 20th century the pub extended in size when it took over 37, Market Place. Which had previously traded as the Punch Bowl.
The drawing to the left was made in 1883 and is reproduced by Courtesy of Norwich Museum and Art Gallery, the distinctive curved balconies remain in the 21st picture on the right.