The George and Dragon operated at 15, Haymarket. It was built on the site of an inn with the rather unusual name of : "Abraham offering up his son." In 1619 it became known as Abraham's Hall.
In 1763 it was called the "George & Dragon." although during its lifetime it was also known as "The George" and "The St George & Dragon"
In the late 1970' s during renovation work many ancient timber beams were discovered, unfortunately these were not deemed to look `authentic' so were clad with more "realistic" polystyrene replicas.
It ceased trading in 1988 after which it was converted into a building society,the building now houses a Macdonalds.
This 1960's photograph taken by George Swain is reproduced by kind permission of the Norfolk Library & Information Service.