The Eldon Stores traded at 2 Bethel Street (25, St Peter's Street) from c1867. Thomas Brooke, the licensee in 1877, not only sold wine, spirits, champagne and tea but could also supply concertinas for 4 shillings each - for which princely sum he would throw in a free instruction book.
In 1911 the premises changed its name to the Mancroft Stores reading as a pub until March 1928 when the license was surrendered.
Pictured is 2 Bethel Street, photographed in 1934 by George Plunkett. By now it is the Mancroft Restaurant and B&B. The site was cleared c1935 to make way for the new City Hall.